Sunday, December 03, 2006

Some good science links for Kids

Here are some links for kids that will improve their science

Age: 6 and above, Fun multimedia view of solar system
It highlights major planets of solar system. Especially interesting are the view from moons of the planets with the mother planet in the background. My kids had some good fun with it.

Age: 9 and above, Light Waves, Rainbows, and Cheap Sunglasses
Really good video lecture that was given in front of middle school kids by MIT professor. Unfortunately, you have to have a good broadband connection and cannot download the video. I watched entirely and learnt some new things. However, my kids never watched it becuase of bad broad band bandwidth. I wrote them asking them to release as downloadable video, but did not get any reply. Anyway, I am grateful that they have the lecture for free

Age: 15 and above, Physics for future presidents
Clicking on this link will take you to Google Video site having these 25 one hour lectures from Berkely (University of California) from Professor Richard A. Muller. Absolutely fascinating. I have graduated in Physics and yet I learnt lot of interesting concepts. It is a great period to live in, that one can see lectures from premier university in your home!

I downloaded all of them, converted to AVI or MP4 and burnt into two DVDs and watch it in the TV/DVD. TV watching is much better as family can view along with you and gives more respectability of watching a lecture. Sometimes the sounds are loud, but other than that I will recommend every college going kid and adults to watch!

I have some more great links that I collected last few years and put it in the website. Hope you may also appreciate it.

No comments: