Thursday, November 09, 2006

Helping the kids improve

Everyone like to see their kids excel better than their parents and I am no exception. My wife and myself always think ways to make the kids busy with something that can be also educational.

With recent holidays coming, we are desperate to find some creative things that kids can do during the day. Some ideas that come to mind are:
  • Writing Essays - Mind Maps - Recently I purchased the book - Mind Maps for Kids by Tony Buzan, who introduced the idea of Mind Map. The book emphasizes that we do not use the right brain creatively, which are into colors, diagrams, dimensions, day dreaming. Instead, we use left side of brain which is into logic, list and words. So by using diagrams (right-side of brain), one can quickly collect the thoughts, remember things and it can be fun. I am skeptic about the use of color as one usually never remember our dreams in color. However, I take Tony's word for now. Recently I got drawing pads and color pens so that I can teach them to draw Mind Map. Since my kids do lot of drawing due to motivation from my wife, I think the Mind Map will take them to next level! I have not tried the Mind Map on my kids as yet nor I have planned how I am going do as yet.

  • Structuring the language: Recently a colleague told me about structuring thoughts and found it greatly useful. The idea is: when thinking about any topic to write or speak. Think about the main topic and question How some thing happened, Where some thing happened, When some thing happened, What something, Why some thing happened. Suddenly lot of questions spring up in the mind. The answers to these questions are often easy. Collect these question/answers, rearrange and you have an essay! I have seen people, who can do without writing! This can be used in conjunction with the Mind Maps.

  • Science Center (in Singapore) - I live in Singapore from where the Science Center is at the walking distance. I think science center is great way to learn things. Lately, I am taking my kids to watch the stars and planets via telescope in the science center. I do not see great impact on the kids as yet. However, in my opinion, these positive affirmations will help kids develop positively. Besides, I spend quality time with kids. In USA, I presume the small science museums are fairly common. Universities that have telescope, usually have free public viewing on weekly or monthly basis.

No comments: